Sunday, August 24, 2008

In the blog last week, Jacob had mentioned using his lungi as a large handkerchief. I thought I'd include a shot of him using it the way it normally is worn (I am glad he doesn't wear it tied up like a diaper). This was about a year ago, when he was serving in Rajahmundry, and his apartment overlooked the Godavari river. Shiloh mentioned they wear something similar, but they are called sarongs. Just waiting for that picture.....

I don't have any snippets to add from his email this week. He had a rather lengthy one where he shared with us a conversation he had with his mission president, a little too personal for the blog. However, let me just say I was reminded once again of the part his mission presidents have had in his success, growth and maturity and am grateful for them.


I asked Shiloh about his extremely short haircut, as seen in last week's blog.

8/20/2008
Concerning the hair cut, For many of the areas of my mission, you can tell where an Elder is serving by the length of his hair. JB is notorious for the Indian barber shops that take pleasure in cutting your hair as short as they can, regardless of the desired style or length. It is legal though.

He also sent us a picture of the Durian he has told us about.


8/09/2008
The most interesting by far is Durian. Y'all should look it up on the net. It is probably illegal in the US. It smells like gasoline and sewage...literally. It is not allowed on public transit because of its pungent smell. It is addicting. After you eat it your body actually gets a slightly warming sensation. It is a special treat here.


8/16/2008
Last night I had durian porridge. It consists of durian, coconut, coconut milk, and beans. I enjoy all of the aforementioned ingredients, and the porridge was tolerable, I just would prefer them in their own element, not combined

I had also asked him about the weather, wondering if his time spent in Florida working was helpful.
8/20/2008
I am still discovering ways in which Florida has prepared me. The Humidity here often feels like Florida. The main difference is the constant resilience of the sun and humidity. Florida felt like a roller coaster of hot and humid days and ideal fair weather. My most recent thought on the subject was how often I was wet and the many differences and stages of being wet. In Florida you would sweat while you work and it would rain while you worked in the mud. There are many different stages of being wet here and it has little to no affect on where we go and what we do.
Monsoon season started mid august. I have learned to be sure, as sure as knowing that the sun will rise, that everyday it will also rain. To call it rain is not really doing it justice. I think the word Blankets is more suitable. Thick wool blankets....for hours on end. It is blanketing(?) right now. I really enjoy the rain because there is a substantial drop in temperature.

West Johnston had their first meet of the cross country season this Saturday. Luckily, the weather was beautiful, and by the time Caitlin and Rebecca finished their race, it hadn't hit 70 degrees yet. I didn't get a good picture of Caitlin while she was running (she must have been moving too fast!), but I was able to get her after she crossed the finish line, which is also very important. They both had a good race, and Rebecca finished in the team's top five to help them win first in the invitational. GO WEST!

And.....our last free day of summer. School starts tomorrow. Jaimee has spent the last month or so reading. Mostly re-reading some of the Harry Potter books. She has a bean bag chair and a body pillow and between the two, she gets in a pretty comfy read. I've also found her flashlight, apparently used when she's supposed to be sleeping...



Stake Conference was today. I can't believe it has already been a year since Shayne received this calling. It's been a year of a lot of traveling for him, with 12 units scattered over a large stake, but I'm amazed with the memories that we have been able to make together as a family during this time.

3 comments:

maren bosley said...

All I have to say--true dat.

Elizabeth said...

Hey! It's cool that you have a blog now too. :) Good to read up on what's going on with your family. We miss you guys!

Kristen said...

Amy, I love reading about the missionary experiences and the goings on in your family. It has been so fun to catch up and see what you guys are up to. We miss see you guys!!! Feel free to blog hop on over to us: www.underthebambootree.blogspot.com